Natural or synthetic? Silicone fibers or microfiber? What weight? What stitching? What size? What are the best down comforter brand?
Not easy to find the perfect comforter, the one that really meets your expectations and your needs.
Then read well our guide, you will find the answers to all your questions!
There are 2 main types of packing: natural (the down and feather blend is the most common, but there are also duvets stuffed with wool or silk) or synthetic (polyester fibers).
Luxurious, warm, soft and super light, natural packing is also very healthy because it “breathes” (it wicks moisture accumulated during the night).
It consists of a mixture (in varying proportions) feathers and down: it is light, airy and bulky as feathers, so the more the percentage, the higher the duvet is light and expansive, and its insulating ability is good (for lightness and maximum swelling choose a duvet filled with 80/90% down).
A natural duvet is warm in winter and cool in summer.
Note: these feathers and down are the subject of an extremely rigorous cleaning and they are very often treated against allergies.
A natural comforter has a lifespan of about 10-15 years.
These feathers and down are the subject of an extremely rigorous cleaning and they are very often treated against allergies.
The Synthetic Insulation
Lightweight, easy-going, non-allergenic, it is composed of polyester fibers. The hollow fibers contain air, which makes them light and insulating great. Silicone hollow fibers have a close touch of the natural lining (the fibers slide over each other as a sleeping bag). Microfiber offers similar to that of the swelling down, it is particularly warm, cozy and comfortable. The current trend is towards recycled polyester, often associated with a “green” envelope made of organic cotton or bamboo viscose. A synthetic duvet has a lifespan of about 5 years.
It is the weight of the packing (in g / m2), which tells you about the heat and the blowing of the duvet. It generally ranges from 175-500 g / m2.
Lightweight duvets are between 175 and 250 g / m2, they are perfect for temperatures between 18 and 22 °.
Mean duvets (300 to 350 g / m2) are recommended for a temperature of 15 to 18 °.
The warm duvets (400-500 g / m2), for fresh or unheated rooms (15 ° or less), or if you are very cautious!
For the same performance and heat insulating synthetic duvet will be heavier than a natural duvet. And in natural comforters, plus the percentage of down, the higher the duvet is light.
Its quality is important because it is down or prevents the fibers from escaping: the weaving must be very tight. For natural bedding is the perfect envelope percale hyper tight weave. And prefer pure cotton, which allows the duvet to “breathe” and moisture from draining.
Much of our duvets are treated against mites and / or bacteria. These treatments are applied to the envelope and/ or the filling and remain effective even after many washes: anti-mite and antifungal natural treatment. Hypoallergenic and biodegradable, made from natural active ingredients from organic farming, it prevents the development of dust mites and removes them permanently.
- Greenfirst: Vegetable treatment containing extracts of plant essential oils (lavender, lemon, eucalyptus). Registered Oeko-Tex Standard 100, it is hypoallergenic, biodegradable, environmentally friendly and effective against mites.
- Allerban (Dacron): anti-mite, anti-bacterial and anti-mold, it prevents the proliferation of mites, responsible for some respiratory problems (asthma for example) and fight against the development of bacteria and mold for maximum hygiene.
- SANITIZED: anti-mite, anti-bacterial and anti-mold, it is effective against the growth of bacteria and fungi responsible for unpleasant odors and effectively fights against mites by creating a hostile environment for their development.
- AEGIS: anti-mite, anti-bacterial and anti-mold, its active ingredient is incorporated directly into the heart of the fiber for permanent protection. No migration to the skin, or discharge into the environment.
You Should Also Know
Dust mites are resistant to direct sunlight or temperatures below 15 °, and 60 ° laundry completely destroyed. Also the best ways to avoid them are the daily ventilation of the room and comforter, frequent washing of linen, washing the annual or bi-annual duvet and a moderate temperature in the room.
What Size To Choose?
For optimum comfort of your duvet should fall from 30 to 50 cm on each side. You will find below the “minimum” size and the size “comfort”, we recommend if you want to be always well covered and to avoid the fresh air intake in your bed!
- 1 person bed width. 90 cm: duvet 140 x 200 cm (mini), or 200 x 200 cm (comfort)
- Bed 2 people width. 140 cm: 200 x 200 cm duvet (mini) or 240 x 220 cm (comfort)
- Bed 2 people width. 160 cm: 240 x 220 cm duvet (mini), or 260 x 240 cm (comfort)
- Bed 2 people width. 180 cm: 260 x 240 cm duvet
Whether natural or synthetic, your duvet must be shaken and aired regularly, and washed 1-2 times a year. All duvets are machine washable and dryer pass, carefully observing the manufacturer’s recommendations. Use little detergent and no fabric softener.
Drying in tumble dryer is highly recommended because it is imperative that your duvet is completely dry before reusing (For natural duvet put a tennis ball in the drum, to “break” the wet fluff balls).
If the capacity of your drum is insufficient use the big drum machine laundry, or give your duvet a launderer.